September 14, 2006

BEER and Good Friends

I was cruising the net looking for some inforamtion about L.C. Alleycat Amber - a great beer I had since we were advised it is brewed only by chicks and I came across these really cool facts about beer.

ENJOY!!

BEER FACTOIDS:

It was the accepted practice in Babylonia 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer, and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the "honey month" or what we know today as the "honeymoon."

Before thermometers were invented, brewers would dip a thumb or finger into the mix to find the right temperature for adding yeast. Too cold and the yeast wouldn't grow; too hot and the yeast would die. This thumb in the beer is where we get the phrase "rule of thumb."

In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts. So in old England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them to mind their own pints and quarts and settle down. It's where we get the phrase "mind your P's and Q's."

Beer was the reason the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock. It's clear from the Mayflower's log that the crew didn't want to waste beer looking for a better site. The log goes on to state that the passengers "were hasted ashore and made to drink water that the seamen might have the more beer."

As was noted on The Wriders blog, she is leaving our hallowed work halls. The bad part about making such good friends at work is they tend to turn over - not that the friendship does not remain but all the fun things you do and inside jokes you have disappear from you everyday work life. These are the things that get you through the day, especially the rough days.

The part I find most interesting is as a person who has been at the company a long time - I have seen a lot of people come and go and you usually make an initial judgement about them- will I be hanging out with this person in time - doing happy hours, having long jabber converstaions. With the Wrider my initial take was no - (maybe the fact that I did not talk to her when she started had something to do with that - my bad) and not in the sense that we would not talk, etc but that we would have a friendship that is more than work. All that has been proven wrong. I have learned that people can suprise you and in turn, you will suprise yourself and I owe that to the Wrider. I think most people would say we are an "odd pairing" and would not put us together as friends but life can be strange and I'll definately miss having her in the cube next to me. Things happen for a reason right Wrider? No coincidences!

I have had two really good people leave here this summer (both chicas) and that bums me out - (anyone else sensing a pattern here??? - more on me repelling women when I get off my ass and start the second blog) but life and work go on and I still have a lot of great people around me.


3 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Blogger The Wrider said...

How does one respond to something like this? I am pretty much speechless because I am quite honored. I really thought that Birdman just didn't like me or that I was too old for him to want to hang with. I had no idea at that time he is close to my age...although I do have a few years on him. An odd pairing, huh? I suppose we are... All I know is that since we have become friends my life has changed for the better. As always happens when a connection is made between people there will be a void in my life when I leave here when we can't interact on a daily basis. I will miss that very much indeed...

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger R said...

All this sentiment is TOTALLY GAY!!!

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

don't worry birdman, I'll still be there to torture you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home