May 16, 2007

So Cultured

So I had an evening of culture Monday night. The school district has an annual music recital for kids who play an instrument at school and want to do the big show. My oldest is in her second year of violin and wanted to do it so off we went.

The part of the show we attended was all strings (violin, viola, cello and bass) and kids from elementary, junior and high school participate.

There were about 200 elementary kids and they did really good. My oldest is now taking lessons and you can see and hear the improvement which is really cool.

The older kids (junior and high school) are amazing. The best 8th grade was a version of the "Pink Panther" which are neighborhood friends DH plays cello in. Very bossanova feel to it.

For the end of the show and the best of the night easily, the advanced kids from Esperanza High did "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen. It was incredible!! There are so many different tempos, timings,etc going on and the violins replaced the vocals. Totally worth going just for that.

I think that inspired my DH to want to keep playing and I hope she does. The music programs that exist in what will be her junior and high schools are fantastic and many of those kids started at the same elementary school she is in now.

Sorry no photos, but we were across the gym from her and she was in a see of 200 kids.

Later

1 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Blogger the mama said...

encourage her - def!!

i played the flute (insert jokes here) from 5th grade until 8th grade. I was a natural (again insert joke here) and constantly in the honor band. I remember our 7th grade concert and our band played Open Arms by Journey and we got a standing ovation.

I wish I still played (I still have the flute). I refused to be a band geek so I played at home for the next few years - then just stopped.

Sounds like a really cool evening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home