November 28, 2006

The Office

We'll I have really started my transition at work to my new team - more and more meetings at that building means less and less time with the current workload. If everything goes as plans, I will be moving over there this Friday (earlier than planned). Don't worry, since I am still technically reporting to my current boss until the 15th, Happy Hour is still on for the 15th - Yardhouse in Brea!!

For any of you out there that ever worked at the Merc, you know their "training" classes are boring but their is always something interesting that occurs...

Well, this was for "stellar customer service" and before the class began, a female in the class was chatting with the HR senior trainer. As they were discussing names they were almost named, the female (hispanic) says to the HR trainer (black) that her mom was into Shirley Temple and said "She almost named me Shirley after her and we are not even white". I looked at her, looked at the trainer and...... nothing - neither cared.

Now I personally really don't care, that statement means nothing to me, even kinda funny but where would I be if I had stated "they were gonna name me Jesus and were not even hispanic" or "they were gonna name me Javon and were not even black".... The HR person should have at least said something to her..... but..... this is the Merc.

Of course I and others break the rules all the time but with co-workers we know and trust and understand the joking, not in a formal training setting with people you do not know.

This same female also could not fold the a piece of paper a certain way without the trainer slowing down and when she wrote her name on her place card, did it in double colors and added a palm tree so.......

That is all

GOOD DAY SIR!!

4 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Blogger The Wrider said...

Yeah...I know where you are coming from on this one. I really like the double standard that hispanics and blacks seem to have regarding what is considered "ok" for whites to do/say, but the same doesn't apply to them. I can't believe they actually had that discussion in a formal training session. I suppose they assumed no one overheard them...

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know that you will be missed by your group - best of luck in your new venture birdman!!

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger NotTheDoctor said...

I will miss sitting near you! It was one great day...that's fo' sho' my birdizzle!

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger R said...

I was hoping for something a bit more out there...like you showed up in blackface for the training class.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home